All children will be empowered to meet the demands of their future: Today!
To provide academic and social opportunities that model positive and engaging learning activities in a college career ready environment.
- At Nixon we have a clear instructional vision. We believe that classroom instruction should be meaningful to students. As such, we strive to design learning experiences that:
- Are inquiry driven- students build a base of knowledge in order to conduct rigorous inquiry.
- Promote in-depth understanding- students are asked to extend beyond isolated facts and skills by being prompted to synthesize and apply knowledge to solve complex problems, synthesize across ideas, and generate original works.
- Require elaborated communication- students are asked to communicate their learning through essays, math proofs, original productions, original presentations and other means of communicating mastery in the field of study.
- Are relevant- students are engaged in learning that is personally relevant and have value beyond school.
- To accomplish this, we have adopted the American Reading Company Unit of Studies for literacy instruction in grades K-6, the enVision Math Curriculum in grades K-5, and Connected Mathematics in grade 6. Teachers work together to adapt this core curriculum into unique inquiry units of study that are relevant, and tailored to the needs of Nixon students.
- This vision for instruction is true across our mono-lingual and dual-language classrooms. Please see our dual language page for further information on our vision, and pedagogical approach to dual language instruction.